Saturday, October 27, 2007

Family

The intro page on my website reads: "Her work centers around loving relationships and the beauty in simple moments." Sometimes I think I will make a departure from that theme, but it has yet to happen. Planned or not, it sums up the subject matter that appeals to me.

I finished "Family at Fence" which I posted the under-sketch to yesterday. I am now working on "Penguin Family." Here are those two pieces:




I tend to work in series/themes, and while I am not aiming for a family theme, it really must represent "loving relationships and the beauty in simple moments." My past animal paintings, or "The Nurturing" series of 3 plus the "M is for Manatee" all depict families. The question comes to my mind, "what is NOT family?" My good friends are like family to me. In loving relationships, dating or the like, it's almost like people are as family even if for a short time. I don't know a lot of my blood-family very well, which makes them more distant than many of my friends.

At the risk of sounding cliché or trite, I would go as far as to say that we are ALL family... just some of us are closer than others. Recently I heard that the Bush family was traced back to the BinLaden family, with common blood-lines. I was dumbfounded for a moment before co-workers explained to me how if you go back several generations, you can link almost anyone together. We've only been around so long, right? I guess it makes sense.

Here's to one, big, happy earth-family! Peace, my brothers and sisters.

No comments: