Thursday, November 06, 2008

Documenting Election Day










"Art is documentation of life, colored by emotion."

~ me

The latest 24/7 was on election day. [For those not already familiar with project 24/7, you can find it along with the latest postings on its Facebook group page.]

I walked out to my car with my children at 6:45am that still-dark Tuesday morning, only to see that my Obama lawn sign had been stolen. Until then I had remained unviolated by the Obama lawn sign thief(s) who had roamed Ocala over the past few months. I promptly retrieved another from my car and put it up. Hmf!


Later that morning I went to vote. Most people I knew had early-voted to avoid the long lines, but I enjoy the whole experience of election day so I braved it. There were no lines at all! Easy-peasy. Unfortunately I was not allowed to photograph inside. I get not taking pictures of people while they vote, that's private, but the people who check you in? Shouldn't that all be transparent, public knowledge? Oh well. There was tons of anti-Obama crazy, hommade propaganda about to keep me clicking. I will write another blog just on propaganda and show more of them soon.

After voting I went down to Florida's Blood Centers where my awesome friend Debbie Roth works, and I gave blood. Lots of blood. I hooked up to a new machine that takes twice as many red blood cells - but replaces saline and other stuff - so it takes a really long time but you walk away feeling better than the traditional method. I almost fainted. It was worth it, though, because I was getting a tattoo that week and won't be able to donate again for a year.


Later that evening I attended the Marion County Democrats "Victory Celebration." I had designed the flyers, invites and tickets for the event. Premature to say "Victory" before the election? Doesn't seem like it now, over a week later. It was a very exciting night for Democrats, especially in Florida.


Visit the 24/7 Facebook page for more photos of this historic day.


















No comments: