Friday, November 14, 2008

Black is the new green









We're all doing our part (hopefully) to save the world by being a little greener every day. What are you doing right this very second? Do you know how much energy it takes to light a white screen? Neither do I, but it's more than it takes to power a black screen. Enter Blackle.

Check it out: www.blackle.com – it runs Google's search engine, but it's, well, black. It's like a sleeping screen that is awake. How much difference does it make? Right now it says:
930,703.497 Watt hours saved
. If nothing else, each time you look at that screen, you will be reminded that every move you make has an impact and maybe you'll reconsider something for the better. Maybe. It can't hurt, start to use it and see what you think.

Besides, black is cool (says the artist/graphic designer).

Oh and yeah, I realize this blog is mostly white. Should I change it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessi,

Thanks for the follow on twitter. Hadn't heard of Blackie. I'm a little skeptical of the Mega-Watts saved statistics are coming from the company that's marketing Blackie. Would like to see an objective study on it.

However, small steps are how we get to big goals, and if we reached a critical mass of users, it might make a difference. As we used to say at World Vision when I was a manager there, one child at a time, one step at a time.

peaceofjessi said...

Thank you for your comment, Judy!

I agree, I don't know exactly what it saves... however I do know that I put my screen to sleep as often as possible to save energy and light patterns, so as far as I can tell, black is better. It does annoy me, though, that there's no image search - so I have to hop to Google for those.

Cheers!